Mrs. Darby’s Class News—May 25, 2020
We will have a Zoom meeting at 1:00 on the last day of school (Wednesday, May 27). Please remind your child so the kids will all have a chance to see each other on the last day.
Please gather remaining classroom books from home to turn in at the final student materials pick-up on June 1st and 2nd. I will place a box outside the office for our class to drop off classroom library books (most of these have “Darby” written across the page tops). Each child should have two or more books to turn in; one is My Side of the Mountain, and the others would be their independent reading books. No one will be in trouble over lost books, but I am hoping to reduce the number of books lost to our classroom library–thank you for your help!
June 1st and 2nd–final “student materials pick-up” at school (will include any remaining student belongings, completed art projects, a little treat from me, report card copies, and spring pictures/village shirts/yearbooks for those who ordered them). There will also be a box provided to drop off our classroom books at the same time. Here is the link to the materials pick-up schedule: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1htn0pfw-0ALn7roX_YbAuHDOinRB1NsBQXrk2P-TBAU/edit?usp=sharing
Report cards–The district previously emailed parents with the information below regarding third trimester report cards:
At the end of the school year, all students (TK-8) will receive one of the following two comments on their report card:
- “The student participated in Distance Learning and will be going on to the next grade level.”
- “Interventions were provided, including site administrator and psychologist/counselor, and the student rarely participated in Distance Learning. The parent should set up a meeting with the site administrator prior to school starting in 2020-2021.”
Elementary students will also be provided with the following information on their 3rd-Trimester report card:
- Two sentences on what the student has done well throughout the school year.
- One sentence on a skill or area that the student could continue to work on.
Just to clarify, the grades I put on the Thursday spreadsheets are informal feedback intended to help guide distance learning. They are not official grades and will not be placed on the report card. The third trimester report card information will follow the district guidelines above.
“Family Life Presentation” information–Fourth grade girls usually have a lesson taught by the school nurse around maturation. Here is the link to the District webpage on Family Life if you would like to review and share any of it with your child, as we were not able to cover it this year. https://www.rcsdk8.org/family-life-resources-0
Reunion–I have mentioned to the kids that I would love to have a reunion get-together with the class when it is safe and permissible to do so, whether that will be over the summer or later next year. I will contact you when that becomes an option for us.
Thank you so much for your hard work from home and your understanding through this sometimes stressful and difficult situation. Also, thank you very much to Gina Woods and Tammie Cruz for being our amazing room parents, to Shekina Gottlieb for teaching the kids wonderful and creative art lessons, to Rebecca Barnett for generously donating her time to prepare materials for us each week, and to Gina Woods, Emily Williams, and Florence Wong for coming in to work with kids in the classroom. Your help was greatly needed and appreciated!
I have enjoyed spending this year with your children–thank you for all of your support throughout the year!
Upcoming dates to remember:
- May 27–Last day of school for students–class Zoom meeting at 1:00 (Wednesday)
- June 1st and 2nd–final “materials pick-up” at school. There will also be a box provided to drop off our classroom books outside the office. Here is the link to the materials pick-up schedule: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1htn0pfw-0ALn7roX_YbAuHDOinRB1NsBQXrk2P-TBAU/edit?usp=sharing
- Through June–Lexia will still be available to students
- Through July 23–iReady reading and math will still be available to students
- All summer–Edutyping will still be available to students