Mrs. Darby’s Class News—May 20, 2019
Please return binders on Monday this week. They will not be sent home this Thursday, but instead will go home next week for you to keep.
Homework will continue this Monday through Wednesday, May 22. (Wednesday will be the last night of homework.)
- We will be finishing the last round of iReady computer assessments a little each day this week. Please encourage your children to take their time and work carefully in order to accurately show their progress for the year. The results will be sent home in the binder next week.
- We are finishing our math unit on measurement and will take the last math test on Wednesday. There is an optional assignment in Think Central that has similar questions if students would like extra practice at home.
- Our last language skills test will be on Thursday instead of Friday this week (due to Field Day).
It is important that students wear SUNSCREEN every day this week please (hats are encouraged as well). We will be working on a fifth-grade playground mapping project, in which groups of students measure playground items in detail and then draw a playground map to scale. In addition to playground mapping, we will also have Monday and Tuesday P.E. and Field Day on Friday, so students will be spending plenty of time outdoors each day (weather permitting).
At the end of each year, many classroom books are lost to our classroom library because they have been accidentally left at home. Please ask your children to take a look around the house and car for any stray classroom books to return—thank you!
Students should wear their village shirts on Wednesday for our last rally of the year. :)
Field Day will be on May 24—many parent volunteers are needed to lead stations for this fun morning of outdoor games. If you would like to volunteer, please follow this link to sign up for a 4th/5th grade activity: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4da5ac28abf58-diamond2
Also, our “Fifth Grade Send-Off Party” at the park will be on May 30, the last day of school. Please follow this link if you would like to volunteer to help give our fifth graders a great morning of fun on their last day of elementary school! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4ca4ac23a2f85-5thgrade
This week’s Greek & Latin roots to study are #141-155. (This week’s targeted grammar or vocabulary skills will be recorded in your child’s planner.)
Category I clearance is required to volunteer for the end-of-year fifth grade “Send-Off” party at the park. (This level does not require fingerprinting or TB testing.) If you do not yet have category I or II clearance and would like to volunteer for the party at the park, please fill out and submit this application to the office: https://www.rcsdk8.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/volunteer_application_-_category_i_-_fillable_1.pdf
Upcoming dates to remember:
- May 20-24—Please remind students to wear sunscreen for extra time outdoors all week
- May 22—Wear village shirts for our last village rally of the year
- May 24—Field Day (link for volunteers: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4da5ac28abf58-diamond2)
- May 27—Memorial Day, no school
- May 28, 29, and 30—2:05 dismissal
- May 29—Dine at the park
- May 30—“Fifth Grade Send-Off Party” at the park (link to volunteer: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4ca4ac23a2f85-5thgrade)
- Fridays—SPIRIT DAY (wear Diamond Creek clothing or mostly green and/or yellow shirt)