Transitional Kindergarten is the first of a two-year kindergarten experience for children turning 5 years old after September 2nd and the age eligible cut off.
2021/2022 Age Eligibility
- Born September 2, 2016 – March 31st, 2017
2022/2023 Age Eligibility
- Born September 2, 2017 – March 31st, 2018
TK represents a true bridge between preschool and regular traditional Kindergarten. Taught by a credentialed teacher with early childhood expertise, TK uses a unique, specialized curriculum that is based on the Common Core Kindergarten standards but is designed explicitly to support the social, emotional, physical, and academic needs of young 5 year-olds.
TK gives our youngest Kindergarten students a head start in instruction and provides them with an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment tailored to meet their academic and social needs. TK is a free program within the public school system.
The TK environment includes many opportunities for social-emotional development, fine- and gross-motor activities, and oral language development for all kinds of learners, including those with special needs. RCSD’s TK program prioritizes purposeful, structured play, small-group instruction, and intentional teaching using hands-on, experiential activities. TK truly provides our youngest Kindergarteners with the gift of time, enabling all students to begin traditional Kindergarten ready to thrive.
- TK students will follow the district calendar.
- TK students attend class for 200 instructional minutes each day (about 3 hrs and 20 min/day), Monday through Friday.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- Immunization Records must be up-to-date!
- Oral Health Assessment Form and CHDP form required for registration.
Please call your school of residence with any questions.
2021-2022 Transitional Kindergarten
TK students must be 5 years old on or before March 31, 2022, to be eligible for enrollment in the Transitional Kindergarten program for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Students born 9/2/2016 – 3/31/2017
- Priority placement for students 9/2/2016-12/2/2016.
- Oral Health Assessment Form and CHDP Form required for registration.
What is Priority Placement?
Priority Placement is given when a school site’s class becomes full. In the event that the Transitional Kindergarten program becomes full at your resident school site, students whose birthdays fall on or between 9/2 – 12/2 will be given priority placement at their resident school site.
*Placement at your school of residence is not guaranteed. Placement is based on space availability. If space becomes full at your resident school site, placement at another school site where space is available will be offered. See Priority Placement for additional details.
If you would like to register, you can use this link to access our 2021-2022 New Student Registration.
- Orchard Ranch’s TK program will be held at the Riego Creek campus for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year.
- Gate’s TK program will be held at the Thomas Jefferson campus for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year.
- Kaseberg’s TK program will be held at the Spanger campus for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year.
Please register your children by going to https://rcsdk8.powerschool.com/public/
Please register your TK student by accessing RCSD’s general registration link for ALL grades
If you are requesting TK at a site other than your school of residence, please complete an Intradistrict Transfer Form. Placement at the requested site depends on enrollment numbers. TK transfer requests submitted for the next school year, can take longer then the 30 to 60 day timeline to process.
2022/2023 Transitional Kindergarten
TK students must be 5 years old on or before March 31, 2023, to be eligible for enrollment in the Transitional Kindergarten program for the 2022-2023 school year.
Registration in the 2022/2023 Transitional Kindergarten program will be available beginning on January 3rd, 2022.
Documentation/Forms for registration:
- Immunization record
- Birth Certificate
- Parent/Guardian photo ID
- Proof of Residency
- Oral Health Assessment Form
- Physical Health Examination Requirement (CHDP)
Placement at your resident school site is not guaranteed. If the TK program becomes full at your resident school site, RCSD will contact families to offer placement in the TK program at a school site with available space. We will operate on a “last in, first out” process.